Thursday 20 February 2014

Timeline of Depression.

Morning. I have a newspaper coming to my house today to learn more about my illness and I hope this will give me more exposure so then I can help other women.

When I speak to women who have depression they always ask me whats the difference between "ordinary" depression and the type that I have. Some people call my depression Reproductive Depression, some call it Hormonal depression and it can fall into many different categories many of which you have heard of before. These will include,

PMS- Pre-menstrual Syndrome
PND- Post natal Depression
PMDD- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
and the more horrific PPP- Post Puerperal Psychosis.

My illness was somewhere in-between the whole three and showed varying characteristics all occurring critically before a menstrual period or after the birth of my children. I was also suffering from compromised immunity and so had a multitude of physical symptoms as my body struggled to maintain equilibrium. From the beginnings of my illness which started in Puberty, until the end when I had my Hysterectomy,roughly 25 years, there was a clear and concise order of events which I have found to be typical with this illness.  For more of the science and to help you understand more I would also take a look at Professor John Studds website www.studd.co.uk in particular the link marked "Bipolar, a tragic confusion".  Have a great day. S xx

No comments:

Post a Comment